6.01.2015

Where Did May Go?





work in progress

Where did May go? It happens every year. I wait for Spring and Summer and they fly by! I remember this even as a child growing up in Southern California. Yes we did have the best weather but i still waited for the perfect beach weather. We had what they call, June Gloom, where the marine layer stays along the coast, never burning off. July was my favorite but that could have something to do with the fact that it's my Bday month! But the weather was always the best late summer, early fall. The water warms up to a nice temp, and the nights stay warm. What great memories I have of that time of year. The night blooming jasmine fills the air and swimming at night was not out of the question. 
Good times. 
This piece I'm currently working on, of Catalina, brings back some wonderful memories. But now I'm once again, scouring the internet for a way to move back down there (well, I kind of always do that). I'm not sure if it's a case of "the grass is always greener", or if it's because that's where I was born and raised and nothing compares to it. Whatever it is, it keeps me drawn to painting its beauty of never endless inspiration. 
I just purchased my first pochade box and am planning on getting out and painting the world…that's my plan at least…we'll see. I have a french easel but it takes so long to set up, I'm hoping that the ease of the pochade box will make it so I have no excuse. I tried to make one myself but it never quite came together. I think the box was too heavy, anyway.
This painting of Avalon on Catalina, CA is not from plein air painting, but from a great reference photo from Ivy Faulkner of Palos Verdes Pictures. I'm friends with her on Facebook and have admired her photos for quite awhile now. When I saw this scene, I knew I had to paint it, so I was thrilled when she said yes to my question of using it for reference. I cropped it a little tighter and added the bougainvillea, which really sets it off. I'm really liking this one… I can just imagine the ocean air and warm sun on my face. It's an 18x24 oil, so is taking about a week to complete, but I'm enjoying every minute of it. 


sold



available soon
 This piece was done on mistake and will available soon for purchase. It's a 9x12…I was supposed to paint an 8x10 and don't know how I mixed that up. Anyway practice is always good, right? I still need to retake the photo with my good camera and then get it listed. If you're interested before then, it's a 9x12 oil on stretched canvas.

So now I'm off to paint more! I will be continuing my painting every day but am taking a week off soon! Can't wait to get some new inspiration photos on my trip! Have a great June!!!





5 comments:

Terra said...

I learned a new term, "pochade box"; is that a box of paints for outdoor painting?

Jen Beaudet said...

Yes, that's what it is Terra! Sorry, I probably should have explained that but I'll post a photo of it when it gets here!:)

Mary Mirabal said...

Always enjoy your work. Your "mistake" will be someon's treasure.

Susan said...

I know what you mean about the time flying by, Jen. It goes faster than a speeding bullet. Your paintings shown in this post are exquisite, as always. Just exquisite. Susan

Jen Beaudet said...

Thank you so much Susan! Hard to believe this was a year ago!

NEW Website!

Modern Impressionist Field of Flowers

  Available here New art available on my website! I love flowers and I'm not sure what these would be but I hope you enjoy it! This was ...